Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 00:48:30 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SENDMAIL Configuration

thanks for the response & comments ..... I'm gradually getting the
bugs out
of this thing thanks to all the assistance from the -questions list
folk :)

> If you are collectiong mail for the entire apana.org.au domain,
> perhaps a mailertable is better for you. It would contain,
>
>   apana.org local:
>   .apana.org local:
>
> And you would cover all hosts in the domain.

I probably didn't explain the situation clearly enough :(

Apana is a national organization comprising about a thousand odd
members spread
through a number of different states in OZ, so I  certainly don't wish
to handle email
for that mob ..... I have a LAN permanently connected to the Apana
Queensland POP
via dialup modem / FreeBSD 3.2 dual P100 gateway box / sendmail 8.9.3.
This box
is "bryden.apana.org.au" and I wish to use the bryden.apana.org.au
domain for all
incoming & outgoing email. As I understand it I don't need to run a
local DNS since
that is presently handled on the existing POP site.

> > Furthermore I've been told that "relay-domains contains domain
names
> > of all machines you want to allow relaying for.  You would
probably list all
> > your other machines here."
> >
> > I read that as meaning I should just list all local machines, so I
made up a
"relay-domains" file by copying the "sendmail.cw" file to
"relay-domains"

> Does that work properly?

Well it seems to now after someone suggested I re-start sendmail :)

> Also, these are sendmail questions that are not at all FreeBSD
> specific. You might want to try sendmail resources,

>    http://www.sendmail.org
>
>    comp.mail.sendmail

OK ...... I didn't look there before because I figured that the
FreeBSD incarnation
of sendmail may be a bit different to others so maybe the generic
stuff would be
somewhat misleading