Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 21:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, Eric Boucher <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SAMBA: browseability with FreeBSD and win2k Pro.

On 2001-05-18, Francisco Reyes scribbled:

# I think what Eric is trying to do is just to be able to see the
# Samba shares on the network neighborhood (Eric correct me if
# there is anything beyond that).

# Eric, I am no Samba expert, but the smb.conf you showed seemed
# ok.
# Did you try pointing the FreeBSD machine as a Win server? TCP/IP
# properties, advanced, WINS.
# I had the same problem and pointing the FreeBSD machine as the
# WIN server fixed it.

You also need a browse master on the network which maintains a list of
machines in a particular domain or workgroup. You can setup Samba to be
the primary browse master or have a Windows NT machine handle that
(ugh).

If you are already in an NT domain, then your PDC is the primary browse
master and the BDCs back that up.

Setting up Samba to be the browse master is as easy as changing the
setting in SWAT.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]