Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:25:40 -0500
From:      tcn <nospam@videotron.ca>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Syslog reports weird things

> Hmm.. What do your /etc/ttys files look like?  Specifically, what are
> the settings for the console, vtyv0 and ttyd0 lines.  Eg, I have:
>
> console none                            unknown off secure
> ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure

  Okay, I was using the console device.   If switched off and using
ttyv0 (that I had to create in the ttys file) it seems like the problem
is gone.  I browse lynx while yes running and nothing is sent to
syslog.  Seems you guessed right.  (also, yes was sending outputs in
both serial console and vga console)

   As for the serial communication problem, I don't beleive in a cabling
one.  The SRM console works fine, the booting process of FreeBSD is
working fine.  As soon as vinum kicks in, I am missing chars.  I get the
"l" from the login prompt... but the message for my cdroms saying that
the medium is not present is very clear (this mesage comes after the
prompt).  It's as if kernel messages were sent correctly but processes
are messed up...

Normand.