Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:07:35 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any idea when Xorg 7.0's coming to FBSD?

On Feb 3, 2006, at 3:39 AM, Bj=F6rn K=F6nig wrote:

> Kent Stewart schrieb:
>> On Thursday 02 February 2006 23:53, Bj=F6rn K=F6nig wrote:
>>> The noticeable difference is that 7.0 takes much more time to =20
>>> compile
>>> all in all because of its modularity. A German magazine tested both:
>>> 6.9 took 19 minutes and 7.0 75 minutes on their dual Opteron 246
>>> machine with 2 GB RAM (source: iX 1/2006).
>> Differences like that usually point out a poor interaction between =20=

>> the files and the make process. [...]
>
> As far as I know they use the wide spreaded tools automake, =20
> autoconf, libtool and pkgconfig to prepare the build process. I'm =20
> sure most users noticed that executing ./configure takes a lot of =20
> time in many cases. It may be that 7.0 takes so much time because =20
> it is frequently testing whether strlen() exists or not. :-P
>
> Bj=F6rn

	That's actually one of the crappiest parts about configuring =20
software packages. Half of the packages I installed were headers, so =20
why in the world should so many requirements be made to install =20
header files =3D) (even though, I am aware that inside the header may =20=

be functions that call strlen(), for instance, as well as other =20
common C/C++ functions)?
	My personal thought on the issue? I believe that they should =
mass =20
package all of the headers and prototypes into a metapackage, as well =20=

as the smaller packages, just for people initially installing X =20
(former choice), as well as people just upgrading a module and =20
nothing much else (the latter case).
-Garrett=