Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:23:56 CDT
From:      "Kent Vander Velden" <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail - unqualified host name unknown?

In message <Pine.SGI.3.96.980612153754.11295O-100000@demios.scl.ameslab.gov>, Guy Helmer writes:
>On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Kent Vander Velden wrote:
>
>>   I get lots of these messages in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Jun 12 10:53:15 pseudo sendmail[1829]: My unqualified host name (pseudo)
>> unknown; sleeping for retry
>> Jun 12 10:54:15 pseudo sendmail[1829]: unable to qualify my own domain
>> name (pseudo) -- using short name
>>
>>   This delays deliverly of local mail ~ 2 minutes and creates a lengthy
>> pause on startup.  What can I do to disable this?
>>
>>   Here is more information:
>>
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} hostname
>> pseudo
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} domainname
>>
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} nslookup pseudo
>> *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent
>> host/domain
>> *** Default servers are not available
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} grep pseudo /etc/hosts
>> 10.0.0.3                pseudo

Guy,

  Thanks for your response.  It is always great to hear from a local
person using FreeBSD!

>What do you have in /etc/host.conf?  You might want to place "hosts"
>first, then "bind", to try to get around this issue.  Is it also possible
>that you have a name server specified in /etc/resolv.conf that is not
>reachable?  One or both of these issues may be involved.

  Switch bind and hosts did not help.  Sendmail still complains that it
cannot find the domain name.  The name server is reachable although it
has other problems.

>Finally, sendmail may be upset that your host name does not have a domain
>portion.  It may be happier with something like "pseudo.iastate.edu" even
>though that is not a valid name to the rest of the 'net...

  I do not want to use pseudo.iastate.edu in fear of confusing this
machine with isu machines.  This machine was at one time
pseudo.cc.iastate.edu.

  If I use the hostname "pseudo.".  Notice the period appended to the
hostname then sendmail seems to do it's job without complaining.

  I was curious if there was something that I could change in
/etc/sendmail.cf for example to fix this.  Perhaps an option that could
be changed so that all mail leaving this machine would have a To: line
of user@iastate.edu.  Instead of the user@pseudo.iastate.edu that it
uses now.

  Thanks.

---