Date:      25 May 2002 22:01:55 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Setting up parallel printer, no lptN in dmesg

--=-q/bIJYMWo0mLk+kzZVzN

Hello,
     I'm trying to get an old HP Deskjet 820Cxi printer to work here at
home. In following ch. 11 of the Handbook I got to the software set uo
section where you have to check to see if the kernel supports the
parallel port interface by checking dmesg. Here's what I get:
# dmesg | grep ppc0
ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
# dmesg | grep ppbus
# dmesg | grep lpt*
grep: No match.
# dmesg | grep lpt0
#=20

What's the message: "ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range" mean? From
what the handbook says I need all three to be configured in order to get
parallel printing to work with FreeBSD.

Here's what's actually in the Kernel for the parallel port section:

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

Not knowing (or paying attention at system install time some time ago)
about any of this, I had made the devices seen here:

# ls -la /dev/lpt*
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   0 Apr 30 23:30 /dev/lpt0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   1 Apr 27 12:27 /dev/lpt1
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   2 Apr 27 12:27 /dev/lpt2
#=20

Needless to say, the following bits of getting printing in the Handbook
will work:
# lptcontrol -i -d lpt0
lptcontrol: open: No such file or directory
# lptcontrol -p -d lpt0
lptcontrol: open: No such file or directory
#=20
# lptest > /dev/lpt0
/dev/lpt0: Device not configured.
#=20

Please help if anyone can!
Thanks,

Stacey
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer