Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:01:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        bg24484@binghamton.edu
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NMBUFCLUSTER and maxusers problem.

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 bg24484@binghamton.edu wrote:

!>
!>Hi,
!>
!>I have been troubled by this problem for days. I have written an echo
!>server which echoes data from 200 bytes to 8000 bytes sent by the client
!>in increments of 200 bytes.

	You're running out of mbufs with this. Revisit your implementation,
  something may not be quite efficient -- especially since this is an
  `echo' server, it shouldn't be holding on to sb space this much...
  assuming that this is what the problem is. Are you forgetting to close
  something somewhere that could be causing this sort of leak?

!>The problem occurs when the client sends 7800 bytes. In this case the
!>server hangs and doesnt echo the 7800 bytes. On killing the server I get
!>the following displayed on the console
!>"Out of mbuf cluster - Adjust NMBCLUSTER or increase maxusers"

	Do you ever get a panic()? What does 'netstat -m' display?

!>
!>So I modified the "LINT" file in the /sys/i386/conf directory with
!>maxusers = 256 and NMBCLUSTER = 6144 and NBUF = 3072

	You probably shouldn't be modifying the LINT file. That file is used
  to illustrate all of the different kernel config file options and the way
  in which they should be used. Instead, you should have your own kernel
  config file, after which point you should add something like `MAXUSERS
  128' and `NMBCLUSTERS=2048' -- in any case, if you're having trouble with
  anything like this, I would recommend checking out the FreeBSD handbook
  (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/) or posting a detailed message to
  freebsd-questions.

!>
!>After building the kernel I see that the problem still persists.

	I hope that you're not actually building a LINT kernel. :-)

!>
!>Can anyone tell me why this behavior? I am working on "FreeBSD v3.3".
!>No other network applications are running except the echo server.
!>
!>
!>Thanks in advance,
!>Any help would be appreciated.