Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:04:13 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Patrick Soltani <psoltani@ultradns.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: icmp_error: bad length

In message <3DBB075EEB95944492E127F2B9A96FAF5397C3@ultra-exchange.ultradns.com>
, Patrick Soltani writes:
>In the last couple of months, upgraded to 4.6 and 4.7 using RELENG_4 =
>with again no errors, however, now under a light smurf attack, I get:
>
>panic: icmp_error: bad length

>Hardware: Dell PowerEdge 350, 2 built-in Intel nic cards, 256 meg of ram =
>and only doing ipfw.=20
>The kernel is built with options BRIDGE.  Don't know what other info you =
>might be interested.
>
>Deeply appreciate any help or info.=20

Could you try to get a stack trace from the panic? There are
instructions on how to set this up in the Kernel Debugging chapter
of the Developers Handbook at:

   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Even just a list of the function names from DDB would be a good
start, but if possible try to compile a debug kernel, get a full
crash dump and provide the gdb stack trace.

Ian