Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:05:07 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Robert Marella <marella@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about FreeBSD 5.3

--------------enig3DDCA17CDE186DF098BA8231

Robert Marella wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:56:11 +0000
> Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>    5.3-STABLE is a moving target from the RELENG_4 development branch.
>>  It should run stably and it can be used usefully as a desktop system
>>or whatever, but tracking -STABLE is not recommended for *absolutely has
>>to be up 24x7* type applications, because new functionality and support
>>for new hardware will be introduced, which can result in problems
>>occasionally.  (In practice this very rarely happens: which is a great
>>tribute to the degree of care taken by FreeBSD developers).

Err... Um... I hope you all noticed the deliberate misteak.  Of course
it's the RELENG_5 branch for 5.3-STABLE.

> If one is *tracking* 5.3-STABLE on a non-critical system and is subscribed
> to the stable mailing list, how does one know when to cvsup and build world?
> I have not seen anything on the list to indicate I should update my source.
>
> I have seen that 5.3-RELEASE is now P2 but nothing about STABLE. Should I
> be doing it regularly (weekly, daily)? Or did I just miss something?
>
> Thank you for this and all of your previous posts. I look forward to
> seeing your name as a poster for I know it will be another learning
> experience.

You should certainly be subscribed to freebsd-security@... or
freebsd-announce@... so you get notification of any new security alerts.
  Any security fixes that go into one of the -RELEASE branches will also
go into -STABLE, so doing a cvsup+buildworld cycle will get you the fixes.

Otherwise, if you're particularly interested, you can subscribe to one
of the cvs-foo@... mailing lists and see all of the commits going into
the tree, or you can just cvsup(1) regularly (but not necessarily
buildworld at the same time) and watch the cvsup output to see if there
have been commits to part of the system that particularly interest you.

Or you can just decide to update daily or monthly or at whatever
frequency suits you best, as well as updating when ever a security alert
appears that affects you.

Unless there's a particular bug that's been affecting you, there really
isn't any /necessity/ to update.  However, it can be a useful exercise
to help you keep in touch with current areas of work, and it helps the
developers if you can report any problems with an up-to-date system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd