Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 10:13:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   How to convert existing system to DES?

	I am in the process of implementing NIS on my mulitvendor network with
	FreeBSD machines. I have (with lot's of help from the nice people on
	this list). determined that the reason I cannot make this work is that
	I don not have DES encryption on my FreeBSD boxes. I thought I did, but
	checking the handbook has shown me the error of my ways.

	So here is my dilemma, how do I convert an existing system to DES?
	I have downloaded the sources in 2.2-RELEASE/des and I see an install.sh
	there. Do I run this? Do I have o then do a make world? If so could
	someone give me some advice on this? I have never run this before.

	Is there some simpler way to do this? What about existing passwords?
	When how should I change them? I can see getting into a situation where
	I have converted the binaries on the system and locked myself out,
	since passwd always wants to verify the old password. Should I
	*shudder* delete all old passwords first?

	I have checked the FAQ and the Handbook without success for docs on
	this.

	Thanks for the help.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955