Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:00:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   distfiles

Folks,

With everyone and their hamsters putting software on their own
homepages, we have a large number of ports that are not mirrored
anyplace else.  As many of these sites are ISPs trying to squeak by
with crappy systems, there are many times when they are not available.

I've been maintaining the distfiles/ dir on ftp.freebsd.org to keep
backups but the number of unfetchable ports has reached a point where
I can no longer work effectively with all those one-flakey-master-site
distfiles.

Therefore, I would like to request you do at least one of the
following.

(1) Find backup sites on different continents.  Having five sites in
    Japan is not going to help if the inter-Pacific link is down.

(2) Put a copy of the distfile on a reliable site and add it to
    MASTER_SITES.  www.freebsd.org/~yourlogin is as reliable as any,
    and it has good connectivity to ftp.freebsd.org so it is probably
    a good choice.  Anywhere in the Bay Area should be fine.

(3) If you can't do (1) or (2), then put the distfile in
    freefall:~asami/d.  You don't need to send me a mail or anything
    about this, this directory is world-writable.

If you don't follow the guidelines, and the distfile is not fetchable
at the moment I try to fetch it, the port will be marked BROKEN
immediately.

Thanks for your help!

Satoshi