Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:36:21 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Mark C Ballew <ballew@cs.unr.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS security/setup

On Saturday 02 June 2001 22:52, Mark C Ballew wrote:
> I am setting up NFS/NIS using FreeBSD/i386 4.3 in order to share accounts
> and files with machines on a heterogenus network (IRIX, Linux, Solaris).
> In order to limit access to who can mount NFS disks, what do I need to set?
>
> I am thinking that I just need to set "portmap: 192.168.1." in my
> /etc/hosts.allow, and add a similar line to /var/yp/securenets. Is this
> correct?
>
> Also, lets say that I set portmap like above, can anyone on the network
> mount the NFS drive and then proceed to create fake UID's in order to r/w
> access a user's files? I am running on an academic network, so it is quite
> possible for someone to bring up a machine without my knowledge.
>
> Thank you,

Actually the directories and permissions for mounting NFS are set in
/etc/exports on the host machine. See man exports for details.

Beech

     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510