Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 14:34:06 +0200
From:      Nash <nash@home.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd ; Host is dowm ???

Hi,

My server is issuing an error message that has got me blowing my
head off on!!

... natd[131]: failed to write packet back (Host is down)

Does anyone know what "host" is meant here?
The message comes up randomly and comes in very large occurrences.
It really doesn't seem to be affecting anything as far as the
connection speed is concerned; BUT IT SURE IS IRRITATING ME!!! It
has been filling up my "/var/log/messages" file for the past few
months, and I seriously considering writing a program just to
prevent the message itself from showing up.

I use natd to make my server into a router and have an internal
network behind it. Also have a firewall, DNS, http-daemons,
FTP-daemons on the same machine. I've tried removing any and/or all
of these other daemons from the machine to see if it effects this
message; but in vein.

The only other thing I've though of is that, it seems like someone
else also has an internal network in our subnet and is probably
sending  ARP-requests externally?!? I frankly don't understand this
thing and would appreciate any suggestions whatsoever, and
especially if someone can tell me how to find out "which/what"
-host the error message is talking about?

Thank you beforehand,
N.S.