Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:35:05 +0100
From:      Orlando Bassotto <orlando@break.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware 4.5.2

Hi there :)

I'm glad to announce the success porting of vmware 4. (that is 4.5.2
build 8848)

You will find a diff to vmmon sources on my website
http://www.break.net/orlando/vmware4/

Consider it as an alpha release, I'm going to revamp the version 3
and start support for GSX server.  I would like to thanks people at
VMware
which gave me a serial for version 4 and GSX to work on (better than
nothing :).

Few things before you play with it:

     - If you have freezes or ATA failures be sure ACPI is disabled
     - Ensure kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed to be 1
     - Ensure you have aio module loaded

     - Networking has been untested, I just spent 3 days on all this
(it's enough and
i'm on vacation... well for few days :) anyway the netgraph solution
adopted with vmware 3
in the ports should be just fine.
     - USB does not work yet
     - SMP part is almost there, I have to take the last few strength to
import APIC/IO APIC
detection and it should be working -I hope, i don't have an SMP machine
to test-
     - RTC support is missing, I will have a look at it
     - No installation script is provided, I used to run it from
vmware/lib/bin directly.
     - I didn't try to use it as non-root but missing installation
scripts and debugging was useless.
     - In any case of failure compile the module without -DNDEBUG, save
all the garbage
produced by the module (it will produce alot) and enable debugging
options in vmware itself,
        mail me messages and vmware.log you'll find in the vm directory

In general, consider installing vmware 3 to ensure all files in
/compat/linux/dev are
present.

Let me have feedback on the thing.

Ciao! and Happy New Year!