Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:31:49 -0700
From:      Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
To:        "Lisa Casey" <lisa@jellico.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <qpopper@lists.pensive.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't POP mail

At 10:46 PM -0400 7/13/00, Lisa Casey wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I'm sending this to a couple of FreeBSD lists plus the qpopper list in hopes
>  that I might get an answer in a hurry.
>
>  I'm with an ISP. We are running a FreeBSD with Sendmail and qpopper box for
>  our mail server. We just changed upstream providers.
>
>  We have a remote POP about 200 miles away and made the changeover to the new
>  upstream provider there today.
>
>  Since the change, our users in the remote POP cannot connect to our mail
>  server. On their end they just get a "Can't connect to host" error message.
>  On my end, when I do a netstat on the freeBSD box I see users with IP
>  addresses corresponding to the remote location but they stay in SYN-RCVD.  I
>  never see them as ESTABLISHED, and their mail never gets popped.

Kind of sounds like maybe a firewall or other filter is blocking
packets from the pop host to the users.

>  I did change /etc/mail/relay-domains to allow relaying from those IP
>  addresses  (but that's a Sendmail problem, not a qpopper problem). These
>  users can't send mail through the system either.

It doesn't seem like a Qpopper or sendmail problem; it's a networking issue.

>  What might cause soething like this? Any ideas are appreciated, I'll look
>  into anything -- I have customers that are not happy!!

Maybe a TCP wrapper?  Can you open POP, SMTP, or telnet sessions to
the host?  Can an affected user ping the host?
--
Randall Gellens