Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:42:22 -0300
From:      NOC Meganet <tec@mega.net.br>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (S)ATA performance in FBSD 6.2/7.0

On Friday 02 March 2007 06:45, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> blah blah blah deleted

idem ;)

> > Before digging into this problem deeper with benchmarks, could anyone
> > explain why FreeBSD reaches this 33 MB/s limit (sounds like UDMA 33
>
> man mount
>
> read section on "async"
>
> linux by default mounts async
>
> freebsd by default mounts sync
>
> you can change FBSD to async
>
> then watch your fs scramble during a power failure
>
> no big deal, it's only your data.

big deal however is if it is a FBSD flaw or not

since you do already compare I like to add that this scramble thing does not
happen on Linux as far as I remember but I must admit I never tested it, I
only observed it after powerfailure on some redhat WSs I have

but anyway cp or dd probably is not a performance measurement tool at all and
a software should take proper care of disk i/o whatever fs it is installed on

I do not know if it makes any sense discussing cp or dd performance

HM