Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Brooks, Reginald P." <BrooksRP@PWCPEARL.NAVY.MIL>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Brooks, Reginald P. wrote:

> I have been hearing a little about FreeBSD so I decided to give it try. I
> visited your home page and tried to figure out how to download the OS. Your
> instructions lead from ftp to ftp with list upon list of files to download
> but I could not identify any file that appeared to actually contain the
> basic OS or kernal.
>
> For example.  If I am on the following page,
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable
> which file or files would I download and install to provide the basic OS?
> Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

	Way back when I was a new user I was confused by this too. Take a
look at
ftp://releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/3.2-19990813-STABLE/
for the latest version and read the INSTALL.TXT file.

Good luck,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter