Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:55:33 -0400
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <geoffr@globalserve.net>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing on a System with Too Much RAM

Steve Friedrich wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:18:27 -0400, Geoffrey Robinson wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to install FBSD 2.2.7 on a server with a gig of RAM. Problem is,
> >when it reboots to load the generic kernel for the first time it panics
> >with a bounce buffers error. Somebody on IRC talked vaguely about a way of
> >telling the kernel to assume the amount of system memory is less that the
> >actual amount so I could recompile the kernel without BOUNCE_BUFFERS then
> >reboot and use the full amount.  Unfortunately I can't get it to work the
> >way it was described and I'm not sure such a feature even exists. Dose it?
>
> When you get the boot prompt, enter -c to enter the configuration
> screen...
> at the config> prompt, enter ? to get help
> enter ls to list devices.
> there is a device called npx0, and if you set it's iosize to 32768, the
> kernel will only see 32MB NEXT time you boot (NOT this time).
> so set it like this...
> iosize npx0 32768 (or whatever)
> then use ls again to see the change
> use q to quit
> the system will finish this boot sequence and probably panic like
> before. Don't worry, be happy.  Next boot should recognize your change
> (check the "avail memory" during boot process)

Okay, this is exactly what I did

- entered -c at the boot prompt
- when it got to the Kernel Configuration Menu I selected CLI mode
- entered iosize npx0 32768
- entered ls to verifier that the iosize of npx0 was set to 32768 (it was)
- entered q

It then panicked and rebooted as expected but after rebooting npx0 returned
to the default and it panicked again. Did I miss something?

-Geoff