Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:36:01 -0800
From:      "David Anderson" <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   userconfig changes 4.2 - no ide controller?

Hi there
Having had bsd 3.1 running fine for the last 2 years I wanted to
install 4.2 on another machine. I notice in userconfig that there
seems to be no ide controller.

I am trying to use the very same cdrom with 4.2 that I have been
using with 3.1 but things have changed. On 3.1 its

IDE/ESDI/MFM compatible disk controller ata1 15 0x170

On 4.2 the closest I can find (there seems alot less options) is

ATA/ATAPI compatible disk controller ata1 15 0x170

After using kernel.flp and mfsroot.flp the system finds some
hardware (too fast to see what) then says probing but straight
away jumps to the userconfig menu choices.

Following thru to conclusion I get "old cdrom or not recognised
by bsd" type message which says Im right out of luck it cant load
my binaries..............

Im using a Samsung CDROM off the secondary IDE slot on board
(CDROM set to slave).

Release 4.2 has a different line up of userconfig storage options
to 3.1 and 3.5. The first probe is too quick to be believed and
the lack of settings have left me in a quandry.

I have checked the mail archive for previously asked questions
and have found none?
Any help would really be appreciated - thanks

Dave