Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:09:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Sean T. Lamont   .lost." <zeno@serv.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Since I have had two "what are you talking about" e-mails...

I am forced to refine my question.

What I want to do is force certain (rfc1918) dialup IP#'s to go towards an
internal web page, one that is completely independent from anything on the
internet at large.

If I can duplicate the following functionality

ifconfig lan0 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 alias
ifconfig lan0 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.255 alias

... 4 billion lines later...

ifconfig lan0 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 alias

Then by using cisco policy routing, I can force the destination of EVERY
IP number to be an internal web page. If they bring up www.cnn.com, they
get this web page which has nothing to do with cnn.com. If they bring up
www.mit.edu, they get this internal web page which has nothing to do with
cnn.com. The only internet-relavant routing that needs to be done is that
the DNS needs to work, so the routing on the LAN should work as normally.
...Just every other address should behave as if it's a local alias.

The only other way I can think of to do this is a bind hack which returns
an internal number for every query.  This seems like it would be less
elegant than my original question. For all intents and purposes, this is
not a WAN routing question.

Sean T. Lamont, CTO / Chief NetNerd, Abstract Software, Inc. (ServNet)
Seattle - Bellingham - Vancouver - Portland - Everett - Tacoma - Bremerton
email: lamont@abstractsoft.com              WWW:  http://www.serv.net
"...There's no moral, it's just a lot of stuff that happens". - H. Simpson