Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 05:32:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        John Beukema <john@gateway.net.hk>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP Group <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: newsserver configuration

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, John Beukema wrote:
> 1. Intel triton P5 mother board w/256k cache built in  IDE & I/O port
> 2. Intel P5 100Mhz CPU
> 3. 2 x 16MB 72 pin RAM 70ns

Only 32 meg of ram?  Doing expires is gonna thrash the disk a bit...

> 4. Panasonic 1,44MB floppy
> 5. Panasonic 4.4x IDE Bus CD-Rom

*shrug*  I pulled the floppy and the cdrom (plextor 4x if anyone cares)
from the news server when I needed them elsewhere (don't ask why they
thought our news server needed a cd-rom drive...)

> 6. PCI Promotion 6410 SVGA card w/ 1MB RAM

I think a 256k trident clone would work better as it encourages people
not to run X on the machine.

> 7. Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI-2 controller

This or an NCR 810 based card.  (I'm using Buslogic Bt945c cards which
work, but I wouldn't reccomend them based on what Rod Grimes tells me)

> 7a. 2 x Seagate ST15230N 4GB Fast SCCI-2 HD

We use 3 4gig Quantum Grand Prix drives (XP34301) for our news spool.  The
work VERY VERY  well as long as you cool them.  (Just got done hacking up
the cases to put fans on them and the drives are cool to the touch right
now :)

> 8. NE2000 compatible LAN card ??

Get a DEC dc21040 based card.

> 9. HP 4000-I  external SCCI DAT 4mm tape or
> 10.  Wangdat 3200 internal DAT 4mm

I'm using an HP C1533A 9406 DDS2 drive.  A friend is using
the Connor DDS2 drive...  Don't know about the Wangdat...

> We want to run FreeBSD 2.1.0 and just do news on the LAN.

> Is the Intel mother board compatible and reliable?

Dunno.  Go with Asus.

> are there drivers for all the hardware?

Get a scsi cdrom drive if you have to have one.  If you can get
2 scsi controllers and run no more than 3 drives per that would work well
too. (If you are running 7200 rpm fast drives)

> Is it worth getting a better ethernet card?

DC21040.  (Compex, Kingston, SMC and a few others...  I got some
from Rod Grimes and they work great.  If you feel like droping the $200
per for the DEC ones, then you can do that, but the cheap ones do the
same thing...

> Any suggestions or comments?

FreeBSD works well for news servers...  We just downed our machine that
is running 2.0.5-950622-SNAP.  It had been running for 87 days...
(This isn't very impressive, but for the fact that we had so many hardware
problems with it initially.)

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|