Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:49:15 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Magdalinin Kirill" <bsdforumen@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: turning off write cache on SCSI drive

Magdalinin Kirill <bsdforumen@hotmail.com> types:
> Hello,
> some mail posts on softupdates says that turning off write cache is
> prerequisite for it.

They're generally talking about IDE drives. SCSI drives have tagged
queuing, which means you're perfectly safe doing this.

> How can I accomplish it on freebsd? As far as I know
> there is camcontrol utility, but it's usage is quite
> difficult for me to understand.

camcontrol modepage da0 -m 8 -e -P X

edit the page that comes up, and change the WCE: entry from 1 to 0.

Do this four times, with X the last X being 0 and 3

> The other way I can think of it is turning it off
> under Win2K. Yet how can I check write cache status
> under FreeBSD?

camcontrol modepage da0 -m 8 -P 0

will print the current value as the WCE line.

Before doing *any* of this, check /var/run/dmesg.boot to see if tagged
queuing is on for those drives. If it is, you should enable WCE, not
disable it. You'll see a line like:

da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled

meaning that you can leave - and probably want to enable - Write Cache
for that drive.

A drive without tagged queueing looks like:

da2: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)

(yeah, it's a very old, slow drive.....)

	<mike

Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.