Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 14:58:39 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SVEC NE2000 "clone" doom and gloom

> Mike Smith writes:
>     > "make" in usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd fails, so I am not going to bother
>     > unless I get the rest of this sorted out.
>
>     Bleagh.  Try going up a directory.
>
> Tried that once, no luck.  To be precise (in case anyone cares):
>
> cc -O -I/mnt/usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd -I/mnt/usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/../pccardc -Wall -g -static   -Wall -g -static -c /mnt/usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/cardd.c
> /mnt/usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/cardd.c: In function `slot_change':
> /mnt/usr/src/usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd/cardd.c:232: `suspend' undeclared (first use this function)

Your copy of <pcccard/cardinfo.h> is stale.

>     > ed_probe_WD80x3, which hangs computing the ether address PROM
>     > checksum(???).  It doesn't even manage to read the first byte.
>
>     When you say "doesn't even manage to read the first byte", what happens?
>     Is this a software bug (spinning forever), or a hardware bug (read from
>     card locks machine?).
>
> The latter.

Yecch.  I guess it's possible that the card is waitstating the system
forever; what happens if you pull the card out in that state?

>     I take it that you tried removing the call to ed_probe_WD80x3() in order to
>     determine that the NE2000 probe fails?
>
> No, it's that defining TOSH_ETHER causes ed_probe_WD80x3 to not hang.  Maybe I
> should just try enabling that first power-on of the card, and not the rest of
> TOSH_ETHER?  Unlikely.

It sounds as though the power-on pokes something inside the SVEC card
that makes it wake up.

>     the Danpex card I use at the moment is actually quite easy to open up.  If
>     yours is the same....
>
> No way, I don't even see *how* it opens up.  I'd rather be able to get my money
> back.

Gotcha.  If you have that option, take it.

> Oh boy, my big chance to see Fry's "service" in action....

Heh.  Keep me posted; I fear I'll be seeing too much of the inside of
one of those places soon.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\