Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:21:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gryphon@healer.com (Coranth Gryphon)
Cc:        chuckr@eng.umd.edu, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, patl@asimov.volant.org, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@ref.tfs.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> Personally, I really liked the BSD way of starting up, rather than the
> SysV method, but since it looks like people are trying to merge the
> two families, so be it...

The BSD method leaves no room for leaving system startup files intact
from a distribution in the face of daemonds that need to be started
at system startup time rather than by inetd.

Required changes include such things as:

3)	Starting a program as a mail transfer agent.
4)	NOT starting sendmail as a mail transfer agent.
5)	Starting SNMP agent(s).
6)	Starting Radius (the authentication daemon for Livingston
	Portmasters).
7)	Starting user space PPP.
8)	Starting database service engines (Postgres/Sybase/etc.).
9)	Starting Network service engines (Samba/Puzzle Systems NetWare
	Server/AppleTalk).
10)	NOT starting Network service engines (NFS)

etc.

Note that 1 & 2 are a result of not having demand-loading and autoprobe
capabailities, and speak more to deficiencies in the load mechanism
used by LKMs than anything else.

The best enhancement one could make is integrating sorted ordering of
two directories, one in /etc and one on /var, to account for readonly
NFS mounting of /.  This would allow order specification without
compromising the ability to have two directories (or the ability to
have two directories without compromising the ability to specify order).

Other than that, there's very little that one can do to improve upon
the idea.

> Yuk. One sub-directory of /etc being used just to have symlinks to
> another sub-directory of /etc?

Yeah, I dislike this.  It smacks of not being sure at which run level
you want to run certain scripts.  It *does*, however, support the idea
of optioning a script "off" without deleting it.

> And while we're on the subject of completely reworking /etc, how
> about a "inet" directory which holds (as seperate files) all the
> network specific config files, such as host name, ip-addresses,
> resolv.conf, ...
>
> Why? So if you are doing cookie-cutter installs on lots of systems,
> you go through that one directory to change everything there, and
> leave everything else in /etc alone.

A good idea.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org