Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:01:47 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Medium error messages - how to read

> Mar  8 21:57:40 uriah /kernel: sd1(ahc0:2:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:756cb
> asc:11,0 U
> nrecovered read error
> Mar  8 21:57:40 uriah /kernel: , retries:4
>
> Now I'm presuming that the 2940UW driver is not lying and it really
> is a Medium error.

ugh, i dont know where to trust anymore... my fujitsu drives gave those
to me in the "early" days, and in the last ones as well, but with those
it all started... 3940UW was the adapter... (i have posted the exact specs
atleast several times)

as i just posted on the other article, i saw SCB stuff without enabling
them after a while (with ccd)...

i hope you are not running ccd system, are you? i got my data probably
mostly out, didnt even bother trying the /usr/src (filesystem that
seemed to be the one most fucked up) or other irrelevant filesystems...

atleast once i got away from those MEDIUM ERRORs by newfs:ing, i was able
to cpio tyhings out from the fs. (except in the end when the SCB things
came and froze it when i attempted cpio)

funny thing in my ERRORs were the fact that i occasionally got them
and other SCSI anomalities when running, but not when rebooting, on
the reboot mostly the fsck did finish nicely, while running it didnt,
in the end it did finish only if i ran it manually, not in the boot.

so there's something lurking into the ahc, right?

mickey