Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:23:51 +0200
From:      swhite@gov.za
To:        Chris Howells <lists@chrishowells.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large hard disk support in FreeBSD

On 28 Jul 2003 at 16:34, Chris Howells wrote:

> I seem to recall that the trick with large hard disks and old BIOSes is to
> disable the drive in the BIOS and let the OS detect the disk itself... is
> this the case with FreeBSD as well?

That's what I did with a 40GB and a 30GB IDE in a '486 running FreeBSD
4.3-RELEASE a while back. The boot drive is a 1GB on a SCSI controller.
Worked like a charm. Worked so well, in fact, I did the same thing when I
eventually upgraded the motherboard to a P1-120 in March this year.

I was quite sad that I could no longer say I had a '486 with 70GB storage
inside... :)

Regards,
- Sean.

--