Date:      Mon, 01 Dec 1997 02:46:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), garbanzo@hooked.net, nectar@NECTAR.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

> Errr no. There is a pd/freeware curses tk implementation out there
> that isn't vtcl. ctk.. it's in the ports. I know about Visual Tcl,
> I meant to use SCO as an example of something that has dual modes.

I've played a bit with this, yes.  It scared me. :-)

I basically don't think that Tk serves as a reasonable model for CUI
programming and all of the Ctk interfaces I saw really sort of left me
cold.  If I wanted to write UI-neutral interfaces, I'd go to a higher
level forms abstraction or use a set of "generic" interface widgets
which mapped, modulo some last-minute style guide compliance fiddling,
to curses or Tk based objects.

This is not to say that Ctk has no place at all - I've fooled around
with it a little and can say that if you're careful to write very
*simple* interfaces, they're not too horrible to use in "curses mode"
(assuming you can deal with not being able to focus on scrollbars at
all :).

					Jordan