Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 14:00:31 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        "Paul Orr" <Paul.Orr@jetsam.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dump/restore between Solaris and FreeBSD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Orr" <Paul.Orr@jetsam.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 1:43 PM
Subject: dump/restore between Solaris and FreeBSD

> What can I do to restore to Solaris that was backed up on FreeBSD
> or vice versa?  Or what do I need to do to make sure that future
> dumps are transportable?
>
> Thanks....
>
> Paul Orr

I would imagine that dump/ufsdump files are not compatible between the OS's.
I suppose they might be (Solaris UFS is FFS isn't it?) but you likely won't
find dump/ufsdump/xfsdump/backup to be compatible across any operating
system.  You would do better to use tar or cpio for data interchange, but
those too have limitations.