Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:05:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re(2): isdn cards

>From the keyboard of Steve Passe:

> Anyone care to speculate exactly how much work it would be to start
> with the existing BISDN driver and one of these cards and get to the
> point of having a working ISDN for FreeBSD solution?

In case you want to buy a Teles or AVM and use BISDN as a starting point,
you will have to add support for the North American Layer 3 protocol on
the D channel. Layer 1 and 2 should be the same as far as i know, but
Layer 3 seems to be special. BISDN already supports 2 of those protocols,
the old german-special 1TR6 and the very common DSS1 or "Euro-ISDN" protocol.

> Where could one find the protocal specs for "the D channel"?

I have no idea, ask your ISDN/Telephone company. For DSS1 the relevant
standards are I.430 (Layer 1), Q.920/Q.921 (Layer 2) and Q.930/Q.931/Q.932
(Layer 3). They are sold by the ITU (www.itu.ch) but can also be found
for much less money on the Infomagic "Standards CDROM".

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis    HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH    Hamburg, Europe
    In their infinite wisdom, the folks at HP have decided that mere mortals