Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:54:18 -0400
From:      Bob <bob@tania.servebbs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When is BuildWorld necessary?

On Saturday 16 September 2006 15:52, pobox@verysmall.org wrote:

> But I have one question - do you rebuild the world on a remote machine
> (without physical access) and if yes - how do you restart in single user
> mode. This is what I can't understand so far.

I remembered something right after I sent the last post.

 I have done this before, years ago. Not with bsd, but with Linux. I was
working on a small server farm, and cross-connected serial ports from one
server to another. Made the serial port the console, and then I could telnet
to the adjacent server, tip to the other one, and have the system console.

 From there you could pretty safely do whatever you wanted to do, if the
kernel were to fail to boot, you would be left at the loader prompt, where
you could boot the box into a known good kernel.

I can't see why you couldn't do something like that with FreeBsd. All you need
is a serial port you can control remotely, like an adjacent server, or a
router.... set it all up beforehand, and you should be good to go.

Bob