Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:17:40 -0700
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

Doug Barton wrote:
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <200204200256.g3K2uOu10038@sheol.localdomain>
>             hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr) writes:
> : IMHO, you muddy, if not nullify, the abstract altogether. You are
> advocating
> : copying this file down to /etc, and editing it. There goes the
concept of
> : "overriding the values contained in this file".
>
> Yes.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf are separated because we
> wanted to change the defaults from time to time.

	Users hate this.

-----------------

Depends on the user. My rc.conf has perhaps 15 lines and some of those
are simply there because the OpenSSH and bind ports in STABLE tend to
lag quite a bit behind the release and the port versions are installed
in different directories than the those that come with the default
FreeBSD distribution. I once or twice read /etc/defaults/rc.conf out of
sheer curiosity, but I don't seem to be impacted by the majority of the
defaults. There were times when I did wish to make a change and for that
it was handy to be able to see what the defaults are.

As for changing defaults from underneath the user, there are probably
times when it makes sense to do so for security reasons. There was a
time when all machines came with the basic services (chargen, echo,
etc.) turned on. This is no longer the case since security principles
have changed and I doubt many users noticed that change once it
happened. Those who did notice probably also knew how to re-enable these
services.

There are some sudden changes that can break things, I remember
upgrading once and sendmail stopped working because the config files had
moved from /etc to /etc/mail/, but it didn't take long to figure out
what the problem was and cleaning up the hierarchy as features get added
just has to be done at times even if that breaks things.

If anything, I believe rc.conf could be shortened further. I doubt there
are many FreeBSD boxes out there that don't use ntp, so that line could
be added to the defaults. Sendmail recently added another 4 lines to
rc.conf, which again could be moved into defaults for those users that
actually still use sendmail as the MTA.

The basic assumption that I as a user am making is that if the FreeBSD
team re-organizes layouts for a release, they will make the
corresponding changes to /etc/defaults/rc.* so I don't have to worry
about a service breaking during upgrade because some path changed while
given the developers an opportunity to clean up the layout without the
user having to track any such changes by wading through pages of docs.
Which is important to me, given that I maintain a machine on the other
side of the planet to which I only have ssh access. The less lines there
are in rc.conf, the less chance I get to screw up the config. Of the
three or four times in the last few years that the machine didn't come
back from a reboot after making the world or upgrading ssh, a typo or
error in rc.conf was the culprit each time.

The current structure works well for me. Other users with highly
customized boxes may feel differently. But then, I am tracking the
present security branch, not CURRENT, and thus may care less about what
well-tested reorganizations happen under the hood than more adventurous
users. There may be better structures than the current structure. I
don't know. However, if you change the structure, whatever you do please
ensure that there is an automated migration tool that will suck in the
current config files and bring them into the new format as part of an
upgrade from source.

One satisfied FreeBSD user,
--Lucky