Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 10:40:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Geoffrey Robinson <geoff@grobin.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail: Problems? Proper Usage? Status? Practicality?

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Don Lewis wrote:

> On May 16,  1:05pm, Robert Watson wrote:

> } > Finally how secure is jail really? I'm aware of a trivial chroot breakout
> } > technique. Does that hole still exist? Are there any other known holes? Is
> } > jail still under active development? Is it worth the trouble to do any of
> } > this?
>
> } Right now my efforts are primarily aimed at improving the security
> } abstractions within the kernel relating to the TrustedBSD project--this
> } should have a side benefit of improving the relationship between jail()
> } and the base OS, making Jail easier to maintain and modify.
>
> I think this is also the right thing to do.  I would go so far as to
> deprecate the jail(2) syscall, and implement jail(8) in terms of
> the syscalls to set up the virtual network interfaces, the syscalls
> to set the process capabilities, and chroot().

I tend to agree.  I'm currently working on a design document for a modular
kernel policy mechanism that would allow pluggable and extendable security
policies, including the capability-limitations associated with Jail.  I
should be posting a first draft to trustedbsd-discuss and freebsd-security
in a couple of days.  This would be distinct from virtualization and
namespace services, but would be responsible for preventing changes to the
virtualization/namespace after it was created and appropriate process
properties were configured.

  Robert N M Watson