Date:      30 Jul 2000 22:53:45 -0500
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        click46 <click46@webpimps.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of hard drive space?

In our last episode,  <4.3.1.0.20000730200452.00b19138@mail.webpimps.net>,
the lovely and talented click46

c> Hello, Just downloaded FreeBSD 4.1 and then proceeded to install
c> Apache. After getting Apache to start, I went and *tried* to gunzip
c> -d php-4.0.1pl2.tar.gz, it returns "/kernel: pid 288 (gunzip), uid
c> 0 on /: file system full"

c> I used defaults for partitions, and the drive is a 1.7GB.

This is adequate for many purposes (not a full newsfeed, of course).

c> How can I tell how much space is left on a partition/drive

df

c> and why would I
c> get something like this. I tried to gunzip them while logged on as
c> root and in the /root/ directory.

You may very well be out of disk space.  /root is usually part of
/ which is not a very large space.  You just are not meant to
do a whole lot of stuff in /root.  And /tmp is also on /.  /
can fill up fast if you try to do very much.  Basically, you
should be doing the kinds of things you are trying to do in
/usr. /usr/tmp is as good a place as any for experimenting.

Of course, you may have some kind of runaway file.  Use
ls -al in the various subdirectories of / to see if something
seems amiss.

--
  Lars Eighner           eighner@io.com           http://www.io.com/~eighner/
               God is REAL, unless explicitly declared INTEGER.