Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:10:10 -0600
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        Pietro Cerutti <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Printing to a Windows

Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:04:10 -0600, Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org> wrote:
>
>>Here's a howto that helped me:
>>   http://www.lanside.net/article.php?story=20031007161002250
>

> Thank you, the problem now is half-solved!
>
> Now I'm having CUPS well running, and I finished configuring my
> printer with the web interface.
>
> It's an HP LaserJet 4L, its URI is lpd://x.x.x.x:515/HPLaserJ
> when  try to print a test page, the answer is:
> "Remote host did not accept data file (32)"
>

>>tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log

> E [02/Mar/2005:00:55:54 +0000] [Job 17] Unable to send trailing nul to
> printer: Broken pipe
> E [02/Mar/2005:00:55:54 +0000] [Job 17] Remote host did not accept
> data file (32)
>
> I googeled but didn't find any solution to this.
>
> Thank you in advance!

I'm certainly no expert, and in fact had to take a few swings before it
started working... I remember having to try a handful of URIs.  Finally
settled on "lpd://hostname/queue".  I defined the hostname in my
/etc/hosts file and I DID NOT specify the port (515) as you have.

So my URI in CUPS administration looks like:
   lpd://WinMachine/WinPrintQueue

With and /etc/hosts containing:
    x.x.x.x     WinMachine

And the print queue on the shared printer is WinPrintQueue.

Another thing...
Do you have a firewall on the Windows machine?  If so you will need to
allow traffic on port TCP 515.  Probably not the solution but worth
looking at.

--
Regards,
Eric