Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:36:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.org, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IA-64 cross-compiler

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I wonder what compiler you're using. Is it the latest development
> version in the source tree?
>
> I think it's a good idea to have easy access to an IA-64 toolschain,
> whether it's the one in the source tree or a port. Although I prefer the
> source tree.
>
> It would be nice for example if we could select the compiler (either
> /usr/src/contrib/gcc.295 or /usr/src/contrib/gcc) and corresponding
> tools and libraries by defining a single variable (for example:
> USE_UNSTABLE_TOOLCHAIN (or whatever)). This makes it much easier to pick
> up the development compiler for those with specific needs (ie IA-64
> support) and therefore allows people to approach the IA-64 porting task
> from a more cross-build related perspective as well.

I'm using the toolchain from
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/private/intel/src.tar.Z with a very minor fix to
deal with some uninitialised variables.

I have no idea what relation that this has with the various development
CVS trees that the people at cygnus use. The ia64 binutils doesn't appear
to be in the mainline binutils tree as yet.

> David: does the development compiler in the source tree serve this
> purpose as well, or doesn't it track development closely enough to have
> all the very latest fixes in it?

It would certainly be nice to be able to build an ia64 toolchain from our
sources but the binutils and gdb changes might be hard to track down.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160