Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:47:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hans Zaunere <hans@nyphp.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stretching Filesystems

Hello,

I'm working with developing a jail() based server for some community sites
I'm involved with.  While I've successfully administered jail() based servers
for sometime, some new concerns have risen.  My platform will remain
4.7-STABLE for some time.

Basically, my major concern is filesystem flexibility, namely resizing and
trying to limit the restrictions of the physical disk's capacity and layout.
Let's say I have a 25gb drive, one large slice, and divided up into 3 5gb
partitions, a,d and e.  Now if 'd' wants 10gb of capacity, how can I best
accomodate that?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but growfs won't work with
"middle" partitions?

I've looked into using file-backed vnode (vn) drives as well.  But again I'm
stumped.  I've tried using growfs, or trying to manually edit the file itself
to increase available space but to no avail.

Any thoughts on the best way to get maximum flexibility from a regular hard
disk like?  Any functionality I'm missing?

Granted, for deploying jails all I need is a directory.  However, again I'm
stumped, since I see no way of limiting the space used by a particular
directory/jail.

Thank you,

=====
Hans Zaunere