Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:55:00 -0400
From:      Bryan Liesner <bryan@kishka.net>
To:        Olivier Wouters <roisoleil14@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ural0 Connectivity Issues

Olivier Wouters wrote:
> Hi (I have already sent this to freebsd-net previously, however I did
> not receive any substantial aid there),
>
> I am relatively new to FreeBSD (I use 6.0-RELEASE-p6) having only used
> it for approximately 2 months, and have run into a little bit of a
> problem with my wireless setup.  I am currently using a WUSB54G ver. 4
> (Linksys Wireless-G USB network adapter:
> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416827517&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper)
>
> with the router ( a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router) being
> downstairs.  My particular network adapter uses the Ralink RT2500
> chipset, and the Ural driver, which was ported over from OpenBSD,
> supports this particular chipset.   I have gotten ural to work on boot
> by adding the following into /etc/rc.conf: ifconfig_ural0="DHCP netmask
> 255.255.255.0 ssid holo wepmode on wepkey 0x[wep key] weptxkey 1".
> However, my connection is rather poor to my router, with my connection
> strength staying at 7%, intermittently jumping up to 85% every now and
> then.  I can't quite understand why my connection is so bad, and it is
> irritating me as I often lose connection entirely and am forced to as
> root run the the ifconfig line and then dhclient ural0 to regain
> connection.  Here is the output of dmesg for my nic and usb:
>
> $ dmesg | grep usb
> usb0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB controller USB-A> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> usb1: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB controller USB-B> on uhci1
> usb1: USB revision 1.0
> usb2: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB controller USB-C> on uhci2
> usb2: USB revision 1.0
> usb3: EHCI version 1.0
> usb3: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0 usb1 usb2
> usb3: <Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4) USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
> usb3: USB revision 2.0
> $ dmesg | grep ural0
> ural0: Cisco-Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter, rev 2.00/0.04, addr 2
> ural0: MAC/BBP RT2570 (rev 0x05), RF RT2526
> ural0: Ethernet address: 00:12:17:75:c8:a8
> ural0: if_start running deferred for Giant
> $
>
> Has anyone encountered similar difficulties or happen to know what may
> be the cause of this problem.  I had no problems with connection or
> connection loss in Windows XP, so i am quite clueless for this strange
> connection loss and low connectivity.  Thanks in advance for any aid.
>
> Olivier W.

This is kind of off topic, but I have to give my two cents worth:
RT2500 = garbage;

Two Averatec laptops, equipped with built in RT2500 chipsets, were
purchased at the same time by me and a friend.

I immediately wiped the disk and installed FreeBSD, my buddy isn't
very technical and stuck with Windows XP.

The RT2500 aggravated the heck out of me.  The only way I could get a
decent signal was to put the laptop two feet away from the wireless
router.  This isn't a FreeBSD issue.  My buddy experienced the same
weak and dropped signals running Windows XP. We both have WRT54G's as
well.

I wound up buying a Netgear pccard with the Atheros chipset, and it
just works flawlessly.  I made my buddy do the same. Kind of pissed I
had to shell out $50.00, but I'm not aggravated any more.

-Bryan