Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:35:45 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        peter.jeremy@Alcatel.com.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   probe code (was Re: diskless boot roadmap)

> Initialisation code in the permanently resident kernel is basically
> just wasting physical RAM.  The less of it there is, the better.
> How much of the probe code can we move into userland?

Actually, with PnP architectures becoming the norm, probe code
basically goes away, so the whole point is pretty moot.  Attach code is
somewhat bulkier, but you need to bear in mind that it's needed for
devices that arrive after boot time.  Attach code is typically far too
closely tied to the operational code to separate it at all.