Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 07:19:40 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Jamie Jones" <jamie@bishopston.net>, <cysgod@carrel.org>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, <tcole@wcug.wwu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Re:

> Sure, the Linux IRC groups may be just as rude, and sure, no-one can
> tell you what to do with your IRC channel, but the name IS going to
> mislead some, whatever the FAQ says. Ignorant user ? Maybe. Should we
care?

> It's only IRC. It's only a channel name. If you cared about FreeBSD
> advocacy, you'd rename your channel to something less misleading.
> No doubt, your reply will be "Why should we?". That's your perogative.
>
> However, in the scheme of things, it's simply not all that important,
> and this thread has just turned into a pointless (from an advocacy point
> of view) flamefest.

Ok, at least you can make some acceptable points to reply to.  I like that.

(a) "If you cared about FreeBSD advocacy, you'd rename your channel to
something less misleading"

This statement is obviously directed at the owners of the channel.  So, why
exactly was this thread started on advocacy@freebsd.org if the message was
directed to the channel owners ?  I don't think that was the case.  I think
the <substitute profanity here> who wrote the original document was trying
to get in here and see how many other unhappy new guys he could get behind
him and somehow try to force the owners hands' in changing the channel
rules.  If it was directed at the owners of the channel, it was not the
right place to send such a message, because most of them new nothing of the
message, until I notified them and forwarded the message.  No matter how
much the original poster and his disgruntled buddy claim otherwise, this was
their entire purpose, to try to somehow tie their ignorance with freebsd
advocacy, and put pressure on the channel owners.

(b) If they "renamed" the channel, who would take over the old one ?  Would
they be able to hold it ?  Or would it get taken by some lame DoS group and
set +i ?

(c)

 > However, in the scheme of things, it's simply not all that important,
> and this thread has just turned into a pointless (from an advocacy point
> of view) flamefest.

Exactly.  I still can't figure out how these people are twisting their point
of view into knots trying to make this appear an issue of FreeBSD advocacy.
If the original poster wants to be a FreeBSD advocate, and feels that
#freebsd/EfNet is to FreeBSD as the Anti-Christ is to God-himself, then the
original poster should take the channel over and make it a happy channel
where all the newbies can come and play.  Of course he would have a hard
time taking over the channel <snicker> but he could get some of the other
disgruntled buddies to help him.  It'd be a sort of revenge of the nerds
type thing.  All in the name of freebsd advocacy and making the world a
safer place for people who don't like to read FAQs and manpages.