Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:25:04 -0600
From:      schoensee <michael@tuxcom.net.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>
Subject:   Re: Analyzing MRTG output

John Indra wrote:

> Dear all...
>
> I am monitoring traffic on my network with MRTG. I setup SNMP in my
> SuperStack II 3300 3Com switch, then run MRTG on each port to gather a
> statistics.
>
> Ever since I installed those beautiful graphs, my boss start asking
> questions like:
> "Why is outgoing traffic from 5 to 7 o'clock is very high?"
> "What happens on 12 o'clock, there's a big spike in outgoing traffic?"

First, if the mrtg gets the data from a "router" I don't know.

Second, in my case, were BSD is the router, you can set up some ipfw
rules like:

count tcp from any to any 80 out xmit etha47
count tcp from any 80 to any in recv etha47

to see some http traffic

or
count ip from 10.0.0.107 to any in recv rl0
count ip from any to 10.0.0.107 out xmit rl0

to see traffic from specific ips

then you can make a script to read the counters from mrtg like:

Target[test]:`/usr/local/sbin/read_ipfw.sh`

Other thing is:
Play with tcpdump or ntop (from ports) and sripting.

If your router (gateway) is the BSD box, I can give you a lot
of sripts for ipfw and mrtg, see http://www.tuxcom.net.mx/stats/mrtg_bwm/

Saludos