Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:14:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   ME TOO! Re: FreeBSD-2.0R: ar/ranlib problems with certain object files

Ah HAH!!!!

that's it! me too!

On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Martin Cracauer wrote:

> For some object file in archives created with `ar rv`, the string
> structure in ar_hdr seems to be destroyed. It seems that the first
> char in the structure is left out and the rest is misplaced (1 char
> forward).

 a very good example deleted, see his post!

> What is the problem here? Do you have a fix?
>
> The sources in question are Mach4-sources, but I've seen the same
> problem before (building gcc and ObjC-Tools).

	I have also seen this, but i had no idea what the hell was
happening. I had a really big application that i was trying to get to
work ( called dstool, it was a dymanical systems simulator ). It had
never been built on any thing other then a sun or an rs6k running aix and
XView ( at least that was what i thought the author told me, this was
last year, i could be wrong ). After some
noodling ( and help from jonas and his fantasticlly clean xview port ), i
got it to compile. All except one tiny little teensy file that basically
had two structures in it that had strings in them.

	The object made up fine, but i would then get an "ar failed" on
it. I never posted to the list because the application was so limited in
audience and the port was so experinmental in nature that i just figured
it was not something worth mentioning, particularly since i had *never*
seen it *before* or *since*.

	To restate: It is rare, but it is definitely there!!!

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Martin
> --
> Private email Martin.Cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de Fax +4940 522 8536. No NeXTMail!
> "As far as I'm concerned, if something is so complicated that you can't ex-
>  plain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not worth knowing anyway" - Calvin

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life