Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 16:37:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        brian@filoli.com (Brian Queen)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mystery phone call

> In the middle of the night last night my machine made a call to
> somewhere, and I even heard the hard drive churning.
>
> Is there a log file I can check to see what was going on?

A security audit is run nightly (makes for a bad machine for a
bedroom).  It can be disabled by modifying /etc/daily.

The log should be in the root mailbox.  Login as root and run
mail.

I'd be surprised if it made a call.  If you have a service provider,
then when it went to do the name lookup, if you have your network
configured incorrectly, it could have been sendmail firing the
phone call off to talk to your nameserver.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.