Date:      15 Dec 2000 15:40:26 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kernel 'make install' fails

Greetings:

I've run into the following problem installing a custom kernel:

,----
| demi# whoami
| root
| demi# make install
| chflags noschg /kernel
| chflags: /kernel: Operation not permitted
| *** Error code 1 (ignored)
| mv /kernel /kernel.old
| mv: rename /kernel to /kernel.old: Operation not permitted
| *** Error code 1
|
| Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/DEMI.
`----

The permissions for /kernel are:

,----[ ls -laFo /kernel ]
| -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  schg 1360361 Dec 15 19:45 /kernel*
`----

The /kernel is a custom-compiled which I installed in the same manner
(make install) an hour ago.  Using freshly updated sources on a 4.2-S.

Many thanks,
--
Arcady Genkin
Don't read everything you believe.