Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 1996 12:05:44 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Archive Anaconda

At 10:57 AM 4/21/96, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>        tar uses the native blcksize of the device.

Is this the native block size the value reported by "mt stat"?

>        there is an interblock gap (ala interframe gap on the network--
>        no stones, please.) between the records/blocks.   the gap is
>        needed but its just dead tape.  a larger block size minimizies
>        this wastage.

Yes, and I understand this gap is larger if the tape can't spool. The
rewind/restart process writes a longer gap, rewinds, then when it has data
to write starts forward, reads the gap flags and resumes writing over the
top of the tail of the gap.

It bugs me that my 2940 and Barracuda don't seem to be able to keep the
Anaconda completely busy. There are pauses while writing that are not due
to the tape reversing to write the next track. The start of a tar write has
many of these little starts and stops, then it seems to run about 20
seconds between instances but with no particular pattern.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison