Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:39:10 +0100
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade perl 5.8 to 5.10?

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de> wrote:
> # pkg_info -R perl-threaded-5.8.9_3 | grep -v ^p5
> Information for perl-threaded-5.8.9_3:
>
> Required by:
> amavisd-new-2.6.4_4,1
> apache-2.2.14_5
> bsdpan-SNMP-Extension-PassPersist-0.03
> gamin-0.1.10_3
> gio-fam-backend-2.22.4
> glib-2.22.4
> mailgraph-1.14_2
> nagios-plugins-1.4.14,1
> net-snmp-5.4.2.1_6
> pango-1.26.2
> razor-agents-2.84
> rpm2cpio-1.2_2
> rrdtool-1.3.9
> #
>
>> (Also, cross-checking with /usr/local/bin/perl-after-upgrade helps
>> with some other specific cases).
>
> I did so when I upgraded from 5.8.8 to 5.8.9. I finally found myself
> doing a portupgrade -af. :)

I'm not a heavy Perl user, but I don't remember anything ever melting
"too much", while doing it this way. Of course, there are things like
irssi, that break -every time- you reinstall Perl (even the same
version), but one gets used to it quickly. Then there is the rest that
probably only execs some scripts with Perl and doesn't care about your
versions (much). Majority of your, or mine, installed ports have Perl
only as an inherited dependency and never directly use it, so -af is a
bit overkill in such cases, i mean:

 pkg_info | wc -l
     805

Whew.

So even when you're switching near-major versions, recompiling p5-*
and maybe some of those in your list (I'd randomly pick, say amavisd,
bsdpan- and razor) should be enough, the fallout will be minimal, if
any (and if so, you just rebuild that one more that still fails).
Nevertheless, your list in't that extensive, recompiling all of it
shouldn't take more than half an hour, that's still a bit cheaper than
-af :)

m.