Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 19:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        kendall@jedis.com
Subject:   Re: fxp0: SCB timeout

In article <000a01c1f51f$5ea50970$2501a8c0@fmepro.com>,
Kendall Gifford <kendall@jedis.com> wrote:
> I also have a Dell PowerEdge 1550 with 4.5-STABLE and had the same
> SCB timeout problem with the fxp driver.

Me too.

Are you running an SMP kernel?  I saw this problem the first and only
time after I added a second CPU and switched to an SMP kernel.  That's
not enough data points to form any conclusion.

The other unusual thing that was going on when this happened to me was
that I was really hammering the system via a gigabit NIC in one of the
PCI slots at the time.

> but I did hear one suggestion that this was somehow related to advanced
> power management. I rebuilt a kernel without APM by removing the line:
>
> device	apm0	at nexus?...

Nope, that's not it.  I've never had APM configured on that machine.

John
--
  John Polstra