Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:10:10 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c  write_alpha_disk.cwrite_i386_disk.c write_pc98_disk.c

Bruce Evans wrote:
> > OK, say we buy this.
> >
> > How does the DOS algorithm distiguisch between partitions, if not by
> > the order in the table?
>
> Not.  IIRC, it doesn't permit multiple primary DOS partitions, but logical
> drives just move around if you add one in the middle.  Since DOS doesn't
> have anything like mount, you get to edit C: and D: in numerous config
> files instead of just in fstab when the drives move.

My Leading Edge PC MS-DOS 2.11 has no problem with multiple primary
DOS partitions.

This probably has something to do with the fact that extended DOS
partitions were invented after it was released in 1986, and multiple
primary DOS partitions were the only posible way to deal with big
disks: "use multiple primary DOS partitions, or live without".

The normal reason for moving partition table entries around is to
screw with OS's other than yours, to make them not boot, and then
blame the OS, rather than the tool that screwed things up.

Since it's not valid to assume that there will only be one partition
of a given ID, I'd still like to know how Mark suggests we identify
disks whose order is important (without "editing numerous config
files").

If "editing a config file" is an OK solution to the problem, well,
/etc/fstab is "a config file".  8-).

-- Terry