Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 01:55:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird IP address

> While sending out hate mail to the latest round of spammers I got an answer
> back from nslookup that I just do not understand. I got spam from
> MoneyMakers.com. When I did an nslookup I got the following:
>
>     superior% nslookup moneymakers.com
>     Server:  superior.mooseriver.com
>     Address:  205.166.121.5
>
>     Non-authoritative answer:
>     Name:    moneymakers.com
>     Address:  1.1.1.1
>               ^^^^^^^

Very simple. Most people now reject email from not existing domains. So they
created the domain and put into their name server at NS.PROPAGATION.COM and
NS2.PROPAGATION.COM the IP number of 1.1.1.1. It is a kind of real IP number,
even it is not in use. (First class A network).

> Josef
>
> --
> Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
> jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073