Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:47:52 +0200
From:      VANHULLEBUS Yvan <vanhu_bsd@zeninc.net>
To:        Daniil Harun <harunaga@harunaga.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch for IPSEC_NAT_T

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 04:09:00PM +0600, Daniil Harun wrote:
> Dear sirs!

Hi.

I forgot to reply your private mail this morning, but it's still
better to have the question and the answer on a public ML, it may be
useful for other people.

> Sorry for my bad English! I ask to help me, if you have some spare time.
>
> I'm using the patch for support IPSEC NAT Traversal on FreeBSD 7.0.Will not
> work NAT-T with Windows XP in the real situation.

[....]
> But when the host is placed over NAT, everything stops working.
> After negotiates IKE and key additions to the database SA traffic does not
> pass. "tcpdump enc0" shows that traffic is decoded normaly, but then he does
> not processed, packets discarded.
> Counters ipfw to rule 1 does not grow. At FreeBSD 6.2 I have the same problem
> (FAST_IPSEC or KAME IPSEC).

ESP transport with NAT-T may need NAT-OA support, which is not
provided by the actual patch, nor by userland.

"may", because checksums (which needs that NAT-OA payload to be
correctly recomputed by the destination) are optionnal on UDP, and,
afaik, L2TP is encapsulated in UDP datagrams.

Looks like XP sets the checksums for UDP datagrams.....

Yvan.

--
NETASQ
http://www.netasq.com