Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 02:49:12 +0100
From:      Bartosz Fabianowski <freebsd@chillt.de>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading OOo1.1.3 to 1.1.4

> I have just upgraded to OOo 1.1.4 and I notice that the setup screen
> reports that the language in my OOo 1.1.3 directory is different to
> different to the language of the update version.

I had the same problem. I didn't change my system locale, so this
shouldn't have happened here either. I dug into the problem for a few
hours, but did not come to any meaningful conclusions.

The problem must be somewhere in setup2, which is OpenOffice.org's
installation program. After looking through the code, I think I sort of
understand what it does. It reads in "instdb.ins" from your old
OpenOffice.org installation, which is a setup script that also describes
various features of the installed version. It then compiles this script
via an internal compiler and calls a function inside the script that
returns a list of installed languages. Finally, it searches for the
language of your new OpenOffice.org installation inside that list. If
it's not found, you get the familiar error message.

What I could not work out were a) how the list is compiled in detail and
what it contains on my system and b) how the language of the new version
is determined. So, I could not really see what is being compared to
what. It should be fairly easy to add some debug printf()s to the code.
Recompiling OpenOffice.org takes ages, however, so I gave up.

One more thing I did try was to swap "instdb.ins" between my old (1.1.3)
and new (1.1.4) versions - while changing the version numbers inside, of
course. Unfortunately, this gave me very inconsistent results, so I
can't draw any conclusions from this experiment either.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge of this code can say what's happening
here.

- Bartosz